Friday, May 18, 2007

Insert clever title involving buying a ticket to Moscow

What, you may ask, is the meaning of the title of this blog post? Does it signify that you had your computer generate a random set of words, as you could not think of a title? Does it, in fact, refer to the fact that you read in the newspaper about some titan of international business and manufacture taking the monumental step of purchasing a ticket for transportation to the capital of the former USSR? Is it some incomprehensible political joke about the deteriorating state of our nation's relationship with the Rooskis? No, no, it is none of these. It signifies nothing less than that I, S.M.M. Merrill, am officially registered for transportation to the nucleus of the vast Russian state.

It only involved 8000 man-hours to achieve. And 8x10^8 reply-alls with the loons accompanying me. So highlights of our e-mail exchanges (mail merges, one might say):

Ivan-
"Woah this is the most action my inbox has seen since that abroad meeting was switched via e-mail like 8 times in the course of three days. Streakers in BiHall too. No candy though. It was good to have a distraction I guess but I think they're franticness only increased mine. They were gone realllllly fast though except for the one that slowed down when runnning through the movable shelving that I was about to move grr.. "

"my passort just arrived today. Its like three times longer than the old one because they've devoted extra pages to american pride-inducing images of cowboys toiling under the sunsets with patriotic quotes scrawled accross them. Pretty amazing and well worth the wait guys."

Edik:
"also i really will cry if you're not at alcoholic potluck."

"also if anyone knows a whole lot about women in the period 1050-1400, that would be cool. i have a paper. "

"lso we can all go to the grille for nachos.

love nachos"

Alya:
"So if you die, make sure that you have a doctor notify the travel agency.
Okay I just spent a long time on the russian embassy website and decided that a phone call to the fisheries committee could probably clear up any problems."

"My mom is currently trying to set up my flight through a temporarily blind-from-eye-surgery travel agent who I believe to be completely incompetent, so let's please agree on something so I don't have to deal with the crazy woman. This is the latest excerpt from our correspondence:

"I'm having eye surgery so will be out of the office a couple of days. I hope to be in Friday but don't know if I'll be able to see well enough to be useful!"

Ahhh "

Natalie:
"can we fly jetblue?! I'm totally willing to pay an extra $100 if it means I can watch TV and have cookies."

"I just don't want to arrive in moscow by myself. actually I'm pretty sure I never ever want to be anywhere in russia by myself."

Me:
"The whole process of buying the plane ticket was greatly enhanced by Abby running around next door yelling about the things she was packing and narrating her every move (What?! This book! This has English! I can't have this in summer school! Agh, I just fell!)"

No comments: