Monday, October 29, 2007

Mongol!

As I write this, there is a hat sitting on my lap. It is not just any hat. I HAVE A MONGOLIAN HAT! I am excited. I think there is other interesting news from this country (none of it involves chainsaws I promise) but I have to go to bed and be rested for chainsaws tomorrow. Actually I have to note, first, that when we were in the crazy market place and I was trying on various ridiculous fur hats I tried on one especially ridiculous one and was promptly informed by Natalie that I "looked like an zhivotnoye" (animal- but saying this in English gives it entirely the wrong meaning), and sales guy heard us and got really mad. This was funny. Ok. That is all.
WAIT! That is not all. Along with various other interesting things about our train ride, our compartment was full of Australians. And we wanted to know what they were doing, so Joseph and I decided a good way to avoid having a long conversation with them in English was to speak to them in English with a heavy Russian accent and pretend to be Russians. And it worked, and it was hilarious. Eventually they figured out that somethign was wrong with our story. But I don't think they were ever sure what.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So all we're to know about your Mongolia trip is that you bought a hat?
Amrum Pellworm

SusannaMMMerrill said...

I just reread this post and I am fairly sure that one of the uses of the word "chainsaw" was a mistake. I wonder what I meant to say.