Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunny South

I left my house at 7:30 this morning and at 3:00 or so got my luggage at the Atlanta airport. I think I could have driven in less time. The first leg of the trip involved very awkward interaction with my mother's students- I can't make myself believe that they are the same age as I am, as my mother's students have always been my babysitters and such. And they still talk to me in a "how cute, Dr. Mayfield's daughter" type way. The second part of the journey involved huge amounts of time in the DC Metro system, which involved talking to a lot of people. Everyone in the United States is so friendly- why am I going to Russia? They were also friendly on the bus to Dulles and in the various airports I was in.
I can get e-mail but for some reason can't reply to it, so hello to anyone who has e-mailed me, nice to hear from you. If you are Laurel, I hear that I got a letter from you today, and it will be sent on to Midd, where I will sneak away to read it in English-speaking secret. If you are Abby, actually I can't see my mail either now, but see you soon, in a state of approach-of-period-of-total-incompetence-induced panic. If you are my father, I"m glad you had a good trip to Bernal and winery and I don't know what El Pueblito is or which restaurant you were referring to but I'm glad it was good, and I'm glad Pau feels better.
Everyone in this house seems to go to bed by 9:00.

No comments: