Saturday, June 9, 2007

Some interesting things I've learned recently from excessive tv-viewing

1) The announcers for the World Darts Championship rival Univision futbol commentators for emotional involvement and yelling tendencies, but surpass them in cool, booming tones.
2) I am very sorry to have missed the Jethro Tull performing years, but you can still see him on public television; I don't know if I am more charmed by the idea that sticking your pants-leg out from your blue trenchcoat qualifies as dancing, and hard-core passion-inducing dancing at that, or by the sight of a long-haired head-banger making random flute noises into a microphone in the interludes of the leg-displaying.
3) Once The Who played in front of a large audience of clowns. This can also be seen on public television.
4) They still wear those awesome hats in Bolivia, and when they interview people on the street for the news they look just like you would expect old Bolivian women to look. It's so awesome. Also, there's not really any news in Bolivia, though they gamely produce daily news programs.
5) Russians who do not speak English should not be employed as English-speaking newscasters. Stilted phonetic reading of a teleprompter is not the same as speaking.
6) All videos on CMT are now by definition awful. Neither country nor music. Though I suppose it is television. And "Smokies versus Bandits" has nothing to do with country music.
7) Jayden is not Darius' baby. Without Maury, this may have gone undetected for years.

Edit: Um, right now I am watching a show on MPT that follows birds around- there is no commentary, it's just birds walking/flying around. There was a section with ducks walking through a tunnel, one of geese flying about, etc.- my personal favorite was the injured bird walkling through the desert sands dragging its wing until killed by a huge crowd of crabs. Is this a show for dogs to watch? I am so confused. Oh, now an annoying MPT woman is on the screen uging me to support such programs by sending them money. This woman has been leading this irritating campaign for several days now- how is she still so perky?

1 comment:

Abby said...

Um, I hate the fundraising people on the television, but I especially hate the NPR fundraisers. They honestly play one song and then sit there talking for at least 20 minutes. It's not a very fair ratio. Every time I hear one of those fundraising drives and their dumb peppiness, it just increases my commitment to not give in and give them any money.

At least on television, they usually show awesome shows, like highlights of Antiques Roadshow and people discovering ancient battle helmets in their attics, or else Frontier or Colonial House, which are just awesome.

Also, Kit told me that Wishbone is now back on Montana PBS. I am glad I can keep everyone updated on the latest program changes of Montana PBS.