Thursday, March 6, 2008

History of Religion

I gave a report in my mainstream history class today, on the topic of the influence of New England Puritans on the formation of the government of our great nation. It was fairly painful, I'm sure, for the other students, but it is over with.

The professor then proceeded to talk about Protestantism in general, and he posed the question to the class of why Protestantism game into being. I didn't bother trying to think of an answer, as I knew that Pavel Evfrofeevich would just look sardonically at every attempted answer before explaining, in a tone of presenting the obvious, that the answer was Developments in Agriculture. The answer is always developments in agriculture. Just like in History of Post-Soviet Russia the answer is always "no, that was in fact not a good idea, but a bad one," and in children's sermons at the ER UCC the answer is always "God."

No comments: