Sunday, September 23, 2007

Monday Morning Church

I wanted to go to a mainstream class today in the history department, but due to incompetence/slow buses did not make it there in time. So instead I went to the neighboring Cathedral of the Holy Trinity again. And it was pretty empty, as whoever sings that song assures me that monday morning churches are, but not entirely; there was the odd babushka, and the odd tight-lipped woman coming in to consult with the batushka, who looked exactly like I imagined the youngest Karamazov brother as looking. And I took pictures, which someday when I remember my camera chord I will post. I sort of wanted to tell the earnest-looking women that they could save time by just buying the book in the little bookstore, "What will the Batushka Advise?" with an awful picture of a dark-bearded Rasputin-like priest on the front swinging some insense about.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

It's cool that you managed to make use of the inefficient transportation- sometimes i think that if the metro was more unpredictable i might have more adventures. maybe i'll try not paying attention to what stops i get off at and see where i end up :)

Barbara Hetrick said...

Sus,

This is the second comment I will post (I didn't have an account the first time). Your Mom shared your blog with Doug, who shared it with me. I love learning about your journey, and, especially, seeing the photographs. Be sure to take lots of them so you can tell us all about your experience when you return to Maryland. Take care and make the most of every moment.
(Aunt) Barbe Hetrick